The General Studies Office hosts the five compulsory U1 units for undergraduate students. We offer course advice to students on any matters related to General Studies.
General Studies Units
As a student at our Malaysian campus, it is a Ministry requirement for you to successfully enrol and complete some of the General Studies (GS) units. Before you graduate, Malaysian and International students have to complete the following GSU1 units:
MPU3113 Ethnic Relations
MPU3173 Malaysian Studies
MPU3123 Islamic and Asian Civilisations
MPU3143 Communicative Malay
MPU3212 National Language A
Bachelor’s degree students:
- In addition to the GS U1 units, you need to complete each U2, U3 and U4 unit respectively.
- At Monash University Malaysia, units within our various degrees have been recognised by the government as meeting the U2, U3 and U4 General Studies requirements. You can check out the approved list of units here.
- The School's Education Management Office in each School will help ensure that the units you undertake during your degree cover the U2, U3 and U4 requirements.
Diploma of Higher Education Studies and 1-Year Honours students:
- You need to complete all U1 units during the course.
- Completed U1 units will be auto-exempted upon progressing to the Bachelor's degree course and 1-year honours.
If you are enrolled in a Bachelor's degree course, then yes.
However, if you are enrolled in a Diploma of Higher Education Studies or a 1-Year Honours degree course, then you only need to complete the required U1 units. You do not need to enrol in U2, U3 or U4 units.
The GS U1 units can be undertaken at any time and in any sequence before the end of the course/upon graduation.
To complete one of your General Studies units, you need to make sure that you are already enrolled in the unit(s) first. How do you enrol? Well, the same as you would for any other unit.
It is advisable for you to watch the instructional video that has been prepared by the Office for the correct procedure to enrol in GS U1 units.
This link will direct you to the Monash Panopto page to access the instructional video. You will need to log in using Monash OKTA with authcate password.
Or follow the step-by-step procedure below to enrol for GS U1 units.
- Log in to WES.
- Once you have logged in, click on the ‘Enrolment / Re-enrolment’ to begin.
- You will be redirected to a new page. Read the student acknowledgements, agreement, and consent carefully. Then, click ‘I Agree’.
- You will be redirected to a new page to Choose Course. Click on the ‘General Studies (Mata Pelajaran Pengajian Umum’.
- You will be redirected to a new page, Enrolment Summary. Ensure that the course code is 9410 (for Bachelor Degree) or 9411 (for Diploma) or 9412 (for Honours). Click on ‘Unit Enrolment’.
- You will be redirected to a new page. Click on ‘To Add Units Click Here’.
- You will be redirected to a new page. Type the desired unit code which you intend to enrol and then click ‘Search Now’.
- You will be redirected to a new page, Unit Selection. Select the unit offering intended to be enrolled in. Click ‘Accept’.
- You will be redirected to a new page. To add another unit click ‘To Add Units Clicks here’. Repeat these steps until you have added all of your desired GS units to be enrolled in.
- Once you have added all of the units, make sure you click ‘Submit Enrolment’ to confirm enrolment.
- Once successfully enrolled, a transaction number shall be generated. A successful enrolment for the unit(s) shall display as ‘ENROLLED’.
Alternatively, students may seek further information or assistance from their respective School's Education Management Office in enrolling/registering for GS U1 unit(s).
As a rule of thumb, you can only obtain an exemption from General Studies if:
- You are a local student who has scored a minimum Credit "C" for your SPM Bahasa Melayu (only applicable for MPU3212 National Language A).
- You have already completed your General Studies requirements at another institution (applicable for all General Studies units).
Eligible exemptions for MPU3212 National Language A will be processed upon admission to Monash University Malaysia, while exemptions for other units will be handled on a case-by-case basis by your respective School's Education Management Office. You will need to provide a copy of your transcript showing that you have completed the same U1 unit to the School's Education Management Office.
*Note: You cannot apply for exemptions if you have previously completed Malaysian National Subjects with MPW unit codes as these pre-dates the current General Studies requirements.
Unfortunately not. The Ministry of Education Malaysia does not consider the Malay language assessed at IGCSE O'Level to be equivalent to SPM Bahasa Melayu.
No fees are required to be paid as your General Studies U1 Units enrolment is included in your course fees.
GS U1 Units Implications on Degree Course
Simply put, none.
Although it is compulsory for you to pass these units, your General Studies grades are not included in the calculation of your overall GPA.
However, if you have done well in these units and would like to have them reflected in your academic transcript, you can put in a request to have them included before your graduation.
Get In Touch
Tel: (+603) 5514 6162 / (+603) 5514 6082
You can also call us on our general line at +603 5514 6000 from 9am to 5pm (Malaysia time) Monday to Friday, and our friendly staff will help connect you to the right person.